Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 18: Chair Jacker

Despite having my chair stolen from me in the middle of lunch today, things have been going very well. Gastronomy ended last week on a high note. We discussed the history of restaurants and how it has related to what we see today when we go out to eat. It's interesting to see the evolution of how we've spent our money regarding food. We now spend more money eating out than we do on food we purchase to cook at home.

As of this week, I have now started Food Safety and Product Knowledge, both of which are extremely interesting. In Food Safety we are learning the Serv Safe program and how to avoid food-borne illnesses. After listening to my professor for an hour and a half, I hesitate to eat out at any sort of restaurant and I feel compelled to sanitize everything that I touch everywhere. Despite the uneasiness of my stomach during the class, I am eager to learn more about how to keep my food safe. (I'm a nerd, you don't have to remind me.)

Product Knowledge is our first hands on course here at the CIA. Not only do we learn about how to identify produce, but we also are tasting and experiencing the first aspect of cooking. Today we dived into leafy greens and cabbage. We tasted various pieces of lettuce and cabbage including cheddar cauliflower (orange colored cauliflower), graffiti cauliflower (purple colored cauliflower), and rainbow chard. We have this book call the Professional Chef and it is essentially a bible for culinary education. This book guides us through all of products that we will encounter in this course.

I cannot wait until I further my knowledge in this subject so I can update a little better. As of now I will leave you with today's menu.

Breakfast
-Fruit
-Banana Blueberry Muffin

Lunch
-Roasted Chicken with fine herb gravy
-Roasted baby carrots
-Spicy Eggplant
-Shrimp and Pine nut fried rice
-Broccolini

Weekly Desert Count: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment